The major cause that makes your thighs ugly looking is cellulite. Cellulite is a condition of the subcutaneous tissue of our body, mainly thighs and buttock. As the name recommends, this is the tissue lying directly beneath the skin and composed of vertical (standing) fat cell compartments. In a body, which is free from cellulite, these compartments remain in a relatively fixed size and fat cells remain tightly sealed inside them. Blood circulation to those compartments is kept maintained in order to use fats for energy when needed.
Cellulites are formed when the connective tissues become thinner and weakened, which lies in fat cell compartments, and between the compartments and the skin. The elastic fibers give strength to these connective tissues. When they are decreased, connective tissues also provide impaired service. Cellulite primarily affect female and is a matter of great cosmetic trouble. It is believed that this condition arises due to collagen destruction. The result is the development of lumpy, uneven fatty deposits become visible as dimpled skin around the hips, buttocks and thighs of almost 90% of women. They are also called orange peel phenomenon.
Cellulite does not do partiality – women of all ages, sizes and genetics have at least a minimum amount of cellulite. However, popular opinions differ, but cellulite is not only present to people who are overweight. People of average weight may have as much cellulite as overweight people. As stated earlier, cellulite is a result of the destruction of cellular structure.
There are many theories as to what causes cellulite and even profuse "miracle" products to reduce it, but it is not that much known to all what is responsible for cellulite and how to reduce it.
Experts say that cellulite is caused by a combination of various factors including general lifestyle, diet, lack of exercise, hormonal changes and ageing. Some also believe that the female hormone estrogen is the main culprit and the reason why men do not get them usually.
There are several theories that have been listed as explanations that may cause cellulite. Among these are:
- Hormonal factors – Hormones play an important role in cellulite development. Some believe estrogen, insulin, noradrenaline, thyroid hormones, and Prolactin are responsible of the cellulite production.
- Genetics – Certain genes are required for cellulite to develop. Genes may predispose an individual to some characteristics develops cellulite, like gender, race, metabolism problem, fat distribution beneath the skin, and less blood supply.
- Diet – people who eat too much fat, carbohydrates or salt and less fibers are prone to have greater amounts of cellulite. Poor, fad diets thus should be avoided to get a cellulite free appearance.
- Ageing– Ageing also been detected as the criminal. Because fibers that keep tight a young woman's skin, shrink as age increases. This causes high pressure on the skin that squeezes everything outwards, resulting in the unsightly cellulite.
- Lifestyle factors – cellulite may be more in smokers, who do not exercise, and people who sit or stand in one position for long time. Therefore, by exercising regularly you may lessen the chances to grow cellulite over your thighs and buttocks.
- Clothing – Very tight clothing, which limits blood flow, may contribute to cellulite formation.
How to get rid of cellulite?
Getting rid of the cellulite completely can be tricky. If you can avoid the above-mentioned factors, you can decrease the chances of growing cellulites up to a certain level. However, if you want to treat the cellulites better you may choose one of the following processes as they are medically proven to yield satisfactory results to bid the cellulite goodbye.
1. Cellulite creams: Studies showed that 0.3% retinol cream if applied topically over the skin for six months it can help cellulite problem by thickening the skin and lessening the bumpy appearance. Methylxanthine creams containing caffeine and aminophylline is said to effects on cellulite too.
2. Lipomassage: This procedure is FDA approved, and is believed to reduce the appearance of cellulite after about 35-minutes session two times every week for 3-4 months.
3. Liposuction: It is a surgical procedure to eliminate the cellulite under the skin. This process is effective, but may have surgical risks and should be considered carefully.
4. Mesotherapy: Mesotherapy helps in reducing cellulite by breaking down fat and improving the appearance.
5. Laser treatment. In this procedure fat is melt beneath the skin and the fibrous bands are broken down to help improving collagen production. Thus, it eliminates cellulite from the body.
Saying these, an important fact should be remembered as well that all these procedures might come with side effects. Therefore, prior consultation to a registered physician before adopting any procedure is highly recommended.